A wierd factor is occurring with the iTunes chart High Songs chart. Up to now, it functioned as a barometer of the recent new songs, very similar to we see with the Billboard Hot 100. However there’s not too long ago been a divergence. An enormous one, too.
After I seemed on the Canadian iTunes High Music charts yesterday at midday, I discovered the next:
- The highest music was the re-release of “Astronaut within the Ocean” by the Australian rapper Masked Wolf, a observe that’s at the moment at #25 on the Billboard Sizzling 100 and climbing quickly. Nothing unusual there.
- However at quantity two, we’ve “Zombie” by The Cranberries, which was launched in 1994.
- At quantity three is, inexplicably, “Summer season of ’69” from Bryan Adams, a success from the summer time of 1985.
- Skip previous tracks from Lil Nas X, The Weeknd, and Justin Bieber and we’ve Norman Greenbaum’s 1970 hit, “Spirit within the Sky” at quantity 7, adopted by John Mellancamp’s “Hurts So Good” from 1982.
- After a cease with Ed Sheeran’s “Afterglow” from final yr, the highest 10 rounds out with Weezer’s “Island within the Solar” from 2001.
That’s 5 songs within the iTunes high ten which can be licensed oldies–at the very least when it comes to chart age. And it will get weirder the additional down the chart you go.
- #12 – Finger Eleven, “Paralyzer”
- #17 – Poison, “Each Rose Has Its Thorn”
- #18 – Coronary heart, “Alone” (1985)
- #23 – CCR, “Down on the Nook
- #27 – John Mellencamp, “Jack and Diane”
- #29 – Billy Idol, “Insurgent Yell”
- #30 – Bon Jovi, “Livin’ on a Prayer”
- #34 – Evanescence, “Going Beneath”
- #36 – Bon Jovi, “You Give Love a Unhealthy Title”
- #37 – Billy Idol, “White Marriage ceremony”
- #39 – The Offspring, “The Youngsters Aren’t Alright”
Bob Seger, Concrete Blonde, Lenny Kravitz, and Aerosmith are additionally within the high 100. What provides? Why are these previous songs promoting? A few potentialities.
- First, take into account that Apple’s iTunes is notoriously opaque. All we’ve are the rankings with none metrics to again them up.
- Nostalgia and luxury meals music introduced on by the pandemic.
- An indictment on the state of present music. The previous stuff is simply…higher
- An absence of star-power music has labels maintain again huge releases due to COVID.
- The TikTok impact. (I’m not on TikTok, so you possibly can can inform me if any of those older songs are scorching on the platform.)
- Inclusion of those songs in video video games.
- Look of those songs in TV exhibits and films.
We’re going to have to observe this.